The method of production of your book is by Print on Demand (POD). This is currently the popular method of printing and supplying your Book to you, High Street and online bookshops, quality is of the highest standard and is not compromised by using this method, we would never be happy with any degradation.
Should your book prove to be more succesful, we would carefully look into producing your book by the more traditional method of offset printing, however, print numbers are crucial and time taken to produce can increase.
Porto Publishing will maintain regular communication with you as the Author through all crucial stages of the design and book Production stages.
The duration of publication of your book as a Standard Package if everything goes smoothly can take around 8 weeks but allow for the production process to take up to approximately 12 weeks.
- Before we proceed we will need to have a copy of your manuscript to review for suitability, quality, etc. and make an assessment of the number of pages and any other content. We will then discuss our observations with you and as necessary advise the next stage. We may decide to decline to publish you book and we will advise you accordingly.
- We will discuss with you what Package and Extras you require. Prepare and submit our Publisher Agreement for you to review sign and return to us.
We will also issue our Invoice for the work reflecting the Agreement requirements. At this point you should transfer the amount on the Invoice to our Bank Account, full details are shown on the Invoice.
You will also need to submit your final edited manuscript and all associated text files and high res. images files.
- Once we start it can, at times, become very intensive and we may/will need to communicate with you as a matter of urgency. This will normally be by email, however, please keep us informed of any unusal trips during this time and we request that you respond to these communications promptly to avoid delays.
- We will discuss all aspects of the design of the book such as:
a) book size (a number of sizes are available and we will recommend a suitable size taking into account the projected number of pages)
Currently we only produce books in Portrait format. Landscape books can be provided but would be a special more expensive option.
b) Choice of paper colour (white or creme, samples can be provided)
c) General requirements for Chapter and Page headings and Fonts.
d) Images, Illustrations, Fluerons, etc.
e) Require a list of Endorsements or Testimonials, an Acknowledgement list and Introduction to the Book.
In the case of the Cover we will:
a) ascertain if you have a theme and any specifc images which you have in mind.
b) ask you to draft a 200 word description of the book and also an 80 word precis of this for use in book catalogue description.
c) ask you to select a few Endorsements or Testimonials from the List supplied for use on the front and back Covers.
d) allocate an ISBN and produce a Barcode and identify the applicable book categories.
- There may be a number of iterations when producing the Cover, we would anticipate up to 5 but in the case of the Text, we include for the issue of 2 Proof Copies, please ensure that you incorporate all your comments on this first submission as additional revisions will be charged as an Extra Hourly Cost.
The PDF's supplied can be viewed as they will appear in the final book. When viewed in Adobe Reader select View > Page Display > Two-Up or 'Two-UP Continuous', remember to adjust the Zoom size so that the pages are displayed correctly to correct size e.g. 140 x 216 mm, check by measuring the page width manually with a 'Rule'. The Proof Copies will be lightly watermarked with the reason for their issue.
When we have incorporated your comments, we will issue the second Final PDF's, we also issue a "Sign Off" form to acknowledge to both parties that the design and content is 100% acceptable and ready to go the Printers. You should print off this form, sign and date it and post it back to us by 1st Class Post.
The PDF's are produced from Adobe Programs and can usually be read by any PDF reader. There is a high probability that your computer already has a reader installed, however, you can download and install the FREE Adobe Reader.
The next step is to create your title with the Printer and upload the Files. They will perform their own inhouse technical checks to ensure correct production of the book.
Then they create a Hard Copy, "Production Proof Copy" which will be posted to us for Final Approval. We will do this online, directly into their computer systems, before they can procede to final Book Production.
At this stage your Book will be entered into the various Book Databases and over a period of days will be come available to computer systems so that your Book can be ordered and delivered to buyers, world wide using the Print on Demand (POD) system.
© 2011 Porto Publishing